Nov 15, 2021
Cuyahoga Soil & Water Conservation District is a local unit of government, established in 1949, that provides services within Cuyahoga County. The organization’s mission is to implement programs and practices that protect and restore healthy soil and water resources.
Job Title: Education Program Specialist
Work Location: 3311 Perkins Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44114
Full-Time; Exempt, Non-classified
$46,000-$52,000 annually with full benefits (health, annual, sick and holiday leave; Ohio Public Employees Retirement System)
The primary purpose of this position is to provide leadership and support to the district's conservation education. The Education Program Specialist’s responsibilities are to assist in the development and implementation of youth conservation education programs within Cuyahoga County.
• Schedules and implements school programs. Seeks opportunities to present information to youth programs, schools, teachers and/or non-traditional educators.
• Collaborate with Stormwater Education Program Manager to ensure continuity in school programming
• Assist Stormwater Education Program Manager with reaching out to teachers, curriculum directors regarding implementing programs in schools both in person and online.
• Develops and implements out-of-school youth programming for delivery at day camps, afterschool programs and similar settings for in-person and/or virtual formats
• Be responsible or take leadership in the coordination and implementation of conservation expo.
• Documents planned and completed events as required.
• Assist without outreach and support for Envirothon, student field days, Earth and Arbor Day and similar multi staff events.
• Assist Stormwater Education Manager in the development and delivery of teacher workshops and/or in-service trainings for educators.
• Provides training to Envirothon teams and their advisors.
• Assist with the District’s tree and seedling plantings and maintenance.
• Assist with tree planting outreach programs.
• Assist with tree and plant sales.
• Compile monthly and quarterly reports as requested.
• All other duties as assigned.
Minimum Job Requirements:
Education: Bachelor’s degree (Major in Science, Education, Natural Sciences/Environmental Studies preferred, all majors considered)
1 year related experience and/or training
Outreach or formal teaching experience, required
• Program management
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Excellent presentation/public speaking skills
• Attention to detail
• Passionate educator
• Publishing software
• Ability to collaborate
• Ability to work independently
• Good computer skills
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Creative problem solving
• Ability to work with diverse stakeholders
• Organizational skills
• Time management/efficiency skills
• Ability to manage workload with flexibility
• Ability to delegate
• Goal oriented
• Ability to prioritize
Specialized Knowledge, Licenses, etc.:
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
• Project WET, Project WILD, Project Learning Tree and/or other environmental education certifications
Must be willing to work indoors and outdoors in all seasons, traverse by foot across rough and steep terrain. Capable of doing minor work including tree planting and stream clean-ups.
Ability to present offsite programs in the region.
Must be willing to work evenings and weekends.
Ability to lift objects weighting up to 30 pounds
Must have valid driver’s license with clean driving record, automobile insurance.
Willingness to drive the district’s vehicles during day and evening hours on public and private roads.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to talk, hear, and visually assess surroundings.
Daily interaction with coworkers regarding communication about projects, outreach, and collaboration.
Weekly interaction with students and teachers regarding instruction
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter and resume using the form below or by email to JBartley@CuyahogaSWCD.org.
Or mail to Mr. Bartley’s attention at: Cuyahoga SWCD, 3311 Perkins Avenue #100, Cleveland, Ohio 44114
Application deadline is Friday, December 3, 2021 at 11:59 p.m.
The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform the job. At the employee’s request, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
This position is offered on a non-discriminatory basis without regard to race, color, religion, sex age, national origin, or politics.