We had a great 2022 Kick Off in February! We have several new interested persons on our email list and 10 new volunteers for a variety of activities. Most activities won't start until April or May and everyone should hear of opportunities then. (See attached picture of Conservation Chair, Esther Trepal, talking about the Dusty Goldenrod Preserve activities.)
"Lake Erie Algae, Research Efforts, Nutrient Loading, and Decision Making.”
Chris Winslow, PhD, The Ohio State University
March 29, Tuesday @ 6:30 pm via Zoom
Click Here to Register for Event
Christopher Winslow, PhD is the Director of the Ohio Sea Grant College Program and The Ohio State University’s Stone Laboratory. He is currently managing >150 grants totaling $14,000,000 in areas such as algal bloom science, fisheries, green infrastructure, dredging, crude oil transport, and pharmaceutical and personal care products. Winslow’s recent publications include topics such as phosphorous reduction, usage impairment criteria for large waterbodies, and fish passage through man-made structures in Lake Erie.
- Our 2022 $1000 Environmental Scholarship deadline is April 1. Please pass on the information on our website,www.friendsofeuclidcreek.com to anyone interested.
- We didn't get an Cleveland International Film Festival Community Partnership this year. There were no films about what we do but maybe next year!
- Our Conservation Committee (through the efforts of Brian Gilbert) have submitted an ODNR grant application to update the plant list in the Dusty Goldenrod Wetland Preserve. The last time over 20 years ago by Suneeti Jog! We will find out at the end of March if we got it.
- THANK YOU to our donors December-February: Lory Gordon, Carolyn Sugiuchi, Rona Weiss, Ginny Aveni, and Dale Inkley. We just received $300 from the Hanes Family Foundation also!
Environmental News, Activities and Events:
- Native Plant Sale ORDER BY MARCH 13! Native Trees, Shrubs, & Herbaceous Perennial sale - LAST DAY TO ORDER! (euclidcreekwatershed.org)
- We are all about water! World Water Day is a United Nation's annual event to highlight world water issues. Learn all about water and enjoy many fun activities at the Cleveland Metroparks Water Stewardship Center at West Creek reservation, MARCH 26 World Water Day Celebration* | Cleveland Metroparks
- Great article on Ground Water! https://sites.google.com/view/watershedvolunteerprogram/resources/watershed-stories
- Dangerous pollutants in Ohio Water bill https://patch.com/ohio/cleveland/dangerous-pollutants-ohio-water-lawmakers-want-change?utm_source=share-mobile&utm_medium=web&utm_campaign=share
- Lots going on at Cuyahoga Soil & Water! Sign up for their newsletter to get environmental cleanup opportunities! Cuyahoga Soil & Water Conservation District (cuyahogaswcd.org)
- See Highland Hts. Green Task Force 2022 calendar attached.
- Nature Scoop always has important and timely environmental information! Nature Scoop March 2022 (mailchi.mp)
I hope everyone is committed to doing Simple Actions for our environment every day! Find the Simple Actions brochure here.
Thank you for your support and let's keep being environmental stewards.
Friends of Euclid Creek, President