Cleveland residents - Free trees!!
While supplies last. Click here for more info.
2019 Native Plant/Tree/Cover Crop/Fish Sales!
Rain gardens are attractive, landscaped areas planted with perennial native plants which don’t mind getting 'wet feet.' They are beautiful gardens, built in depressions, which are designed to capture and filter storm water runoff from impervious surfaces around the home, such as rooftops and driveways. The district has assisted installing over 30 rain gardens across the country, regularly presents on Rain Gardens to local groups, worked on creating the Rain Garden Manual for Homeowners instructional guide which is downloadable by clicking on 'Rain Garden Manual' icon to the right, or by calling the office at 216/524-6580.
RAIN GARDEN RESOURCES
Native Plant Lists
Places to buy Native Plants locally:
- Native Plant Nurseries - website listing regional nurseries
- Avalon Gardens, Chardon, OH
- Biodiversity Landscape Design and Supply Company – Leroy Twp, Ohio
- Bremec on the Heights, Cleveland Heights, OH
- Genius Loci Inc. - Elyria, OH - native plant nursery and ecologically focused design-build firm
- Green Circle Growers - Oberlin, OH
- Kline Nursery Sales - Perry, OH
- Licursi Home & Garden - Kirtland, OH
- Natives in Harmony - Marengo, OH
- Nodding Onion Gardens - Columbia Station, OH (they sell plants at the Frostville Farmers Market in Rocky River Reservation)
- OPN seed - Hiram, OH
- Perennials Preferred - Chesterland, OH
- Royal Victorian Garden Center - North Royalton, OH
- Spence Restoration Nursery - Indiana (not so local, but huge selection)
Places to buy Rain Garden Soil Mixture:
- Kurtz Brothers - Bio-Retention Soil mix or you can make your own - the recommended soil mix for a rain garden is 50-60% sand, 30-40% loamy topsoil (from your local garden store or landscape supplier) and 5-10% organic matter (from your yard waste compost)
Please let us know if we missed any local native plant resources!